Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Very Unproductive Day

Today D suggested that he and his brother should be given the chance to learn things on their own. I think it was his idea of unschooling. I agreed, figuring it would be best to let them try it and get it out of their system. They watched a couple hours of documentaries and then D hit the computer and researched goalie skills for hockey. Then they started watching movies, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. True, they are both book based, but neither boy has read either book, so I can't really justify either as having much educational value. Later they played with Lego's and read for a while. I'm sure they both learned something today, but I wasn't very impressed. Would I let them try again in the future? Sure, for a day, and with guidelines. Would I let them do it on a regular basis? No.




B started this book today. It is the only Melvin Beederman book that our local library carries.



D is finally on the last book of this series. He is my most reluctant reader, so I am eager to see what he will choose to read next.



No comments:

Post a Comment